Sunday, July 08, 2007

Repo Man (1984)

Watching Repo Man for the first time in 2007 is a kind of awkward experience. As a child of the 80's who gobbled up delicious pop culture (and in particular movies) like a hungry man at a Griddle buffet, it's a little embarrassing to confess that I never saw the movie before today. I knew a little about it and certainly recall the box art at the local Video Store, but I know that I never ever considered taking it home.

Flash forward to 2007, and Repo Man is regarded as something of a cult classic. It's clear to see why. This is the sort of movie that I would have adored 20 years ago (I sort of love it now) complete with cheeseball glowing car effects, an eccentric (but rich) supporting cast and a lead performance by Emilio Estevez that almost (almost) makes Mighty Ducks acceptable. [Estevez in particular is much, much cooler in this film than anything else I've ever seen, urging me to wonder, is there an alternate cool-version of Emilio somewhere else in the movie-world?]

There's no question that the thing that make Repo Man work is its attitude. Kind of like the punk characters in the film (one personal favorite scene: skinhead Duke telling mohawk Debbi that he wants to settle down and have kids with her because it seems like the thing that people do), the movie punches and kicks at the traditional structure of movies. Every character has an edge, or a hang-up, or a particular neurosis. No one seems to get along. Together, the cast forms a motley sort of circle that, while enormously entertaining, seems as dangerous and unfriendly as the industrial neighborhoods they cruise. And funny. Underneath it all, blasts a really spectacular soundtrack filled with the likes of Iggy Pop, The Circle Jerks, Suicidal Tendancies and Black Flag. Mix these elements with the right dose of disrespect and you wind up with something approaching an anti-movie. Alex Cox is a master.

In my experience, there are a lot (a lot) of 80's flicks that coast by on a strong wave of nostalgia; and if you don't share the nostalgia, the experience can sometimes come up empty (I'm talking to you, Buckaroo Banzai!!) Let's be honest: a lot of these 80's movies are crap. Great pop culture and miles of fun...but still basically crap. I'm pleased to discover that Repo Man doesn't fit into this bucket. For someone with no '84-tinged memories of the film at all, it still rolls pretty great in 2007.

I won't wait 23 years before I watch it again.

No comments: