Sunday, December 23, 2007

214 Quick Reviews (Part 7) ~ June 2007

And finally...

JUNE:


Gangs of New York (2002)
I came into Gangs with relatively low expectations given its rep as a "lesser" Scorsese picture, and I was quickly tipped on my ass and told to shut up. In fact, to my great surprise and delight, I enjoyed this much more than
The Aviator and The Departed and will revisit it sooner than I will go back to those other (still-excellent) films. The final shot of the New York skyline was an exceptional pay-off and I watched it twice. Day-Lewis gets the spotlight for the film, but all of the performances were excellent. Scorsese simply knows how to build an exceptional cast.

Unknown (2006)
Solid little thriller. I guess Joey Pants thought he was signing up for another
Memento and if not for that movie, this might have seemed a little fresher. All the same, a fun plot and strong cast. One twist too many, I think.

Gunga Din (1939)
For all its epic action,
Gunga Din hasn't aged as well as some of its peers; tough to reconcile the Carey Grant screwball comedy bits with the largest story, but I think that's a symptom of the age in which this movie was made. Still, when the action gets flowing, the film is fun (best one-armed sleeper hold EVER) and it's clear now how much of this film was creatively borrowed for Raiders and Temple of Doom (entire elements in fact!). Still, as jazzed as I was to see this, it took me a loooong time to finish...

28 Weeks Later (2007)
Lordy. The first movie did a fine job of getting under my skin and this sequel sort of did the same. Couple of upsetting things I won't be able to unsee. Zombies take note: helicopters *always* win.

The Driver (1978)
Stunning car chase to open the picture - I don't think they make them quite like this anymore. Ryan O'Neal plays things at the barest level, minimal and poker-faced throughout. A great performance in the kind of lean car movie that could only be made in the 70's.

The Sting (1973)
I don't believe there is anything quite as fun as Newman and Redford together and at the top of their game. It's the reason people go to movies. Absolute candy and a minor masterpiece to boot.

Paths of Glory (1957)
Pretty much the only Kubrick film left for me to discover and given that it was an early studio picture, I was surprised by how much of his personality was already firm and on the screen. Those tracking shots in the trenches are the reason I watch movies. I could sit through Kirk Douglas in just about anything from this era. Reputation as a masterpiece is deserved.

Race with the Devil (1975)
RV + Warren Oates + satanists = good fun. The ending was pretty easy to see coming but I still need to give credit for the rattlers-in-the-RV sequence which really shook me up. Also some fun 70's character work and a wonderfully black finale (literally).

The Graduate (1967)
I was frankly surprised at how HA-HA funny this movie was. In fact, some scenes play like slow motion Coen Bros (thinking especially of the confrontation between Ben and Mr. Robinson). It gets so easy to forget how much of a virtuoso actor Dustin Hoffman was as he borders on self mockery, but this was a pretty spectacular way to begin a movie career. Loved it.

The General (1926)
The smile on my face simply won't go away. Everything about this movie is perfect; best chase sequence I can possibly imagine and 80 years later, it's still genuinely laugh-out loud funny. A masterpiece that lit the Buster Keaton spark for me in the second half of the year: probably my favorite discovery of 2007 (in a year loaded with them).

Full Metal Jacket (1987)
Vincent D'Onofrio's performance in this movie still stains everything he does for me - Private Pyle's descent is so clinical and precise that I have trouble seeing D'Onofrio's face without finding traces of that psychosis. In fact, the first act of the movie is like watching someone poke a dog with a stick for 45 minutes, merciless, mean and altogether painful to watch. Not Kubrick's best film by half, but a really spectacular anti-war film and a brilliant counterpoint to other great Vietnam films like
Platoon and Apocalypse Now (!!) Like all Kubrick films, it improves with age.

The Elephant Man (1980)
Here's a film that has matured into a masterpiece in the last 25+ years. Breathtaking black and white photography, stunning performances (especially Hopkins and Hurt) and a heartbreaking story. I love Lynch's perspective on the gas-lit industrial period in which this film takes place. Outstanding.

Logan's Run (1976)
I love me some 70's sci-fi. Nestled somewhere between the aesthetics of
Barbarella and Buck Rogers, Logan's Run is one of those fun 70's genre films that has more on its mind than its modern counterparts - but still isn't afraid to dig into some really silly set pieces. Most surprising to me was the epic scope of the picture - big matte paintings and sets that go for miles. Michael York is the ultimate cheeseball 70's hero. Good times all round.

Go (1999)
Great little product of the late-90s and a movie that's still lots of fun to revisit. However time isn't going to be kind, I think. Bonus points if you're crushing on Sarah Polley.

3:10 To Yuma (1957)
Just about as close to perfect as a western gets; note-perfect performances, stunning B&W photography and a lean plot with a killer finish. Glenn Ford steals the movie as a killer that seems anything but cold-blooded: charming and earthy, but still the villain that could snap at any time. The upcoming Russell Crowe/Christian Bale remake is going to have a lot to live up to, but it's just popped to the very top of my must-see list. What a remarkable movie!

The French Connection (1971)
Evidently the "greatest car chase in movie history" still lives up to its word - excellent sequence cut with some really gripping storytelling. The cop-procedural elements of the film surely seemed really authentic and rich in 1971 but by today's standards have sort of been done again and again. I appreciate a movie that lets the action speak for itself with long sequences dialogue-free. And of course, I love Hackman in virtually anything.

Badlands (1973)
Ok...*now* I get the Terrence Malick thing. I enjoyed
New World a ton but missed most of what (some) people loved about Thin Red Line; hence it was always a bit of mystery to me why Malick came with such a high-falutin' rep. Now this movie...is spectacular. Low-key and artful, but gorgeous to watch and listen to and never the least bit boring; Martin Sheen brings with him the same low-key burn as Apocalypse Now. Surprised to hear the "theme" for True Romance used in this movie but then both films have a lot in common - True Romance does, now, in retrospect seem to be a sort of irrelevant homage to this though Badlands is clearly the superior original property. Absolutely blown away by this find.

Dark Passage (1947)
Solid noir with a few interesting tricks up its sleeve. The decision not to show Bogart's face for the first 40 minutes or so is unique and the ultimate reveal is quite clever; not the best Bogart-Bacall film, but a worthwhile film nonetheless.

Diggers (2007)
It seems I've turned into a monstrous Paul Rudd fan and that's one very excellent reason to watch this movie. However Diggers is even better than I expected, in large part because of Ken Marino who steals the movie from everyone else. Excellent flick that didn't get to theatres - do yourself the favour and track it down!

Evil Dead (1983)
Classic in so many ways, and not just for the opportunity to see Bruce Campbell's spectacular late-70's unibrow. Felt like revisiting this in light of catching the musical this week - it's still sweet candy, though not half the movie that
Evil Dead 2 is. Despite all the Raimi staples and Campbell prestige...

The Kid (1921)
Excellent film but this is a little closer what I was expecting when I watched
The General: funny, stylish but a little bit dated; a top-shelf silent film but not necessarily something that'd be your first choice on a Friday night. Chaplin is fascinating to watch in the manner of all screen icons but I'll probably pursue more Buster Keaton in the future...

Minority Report (2002)
This movie has aged very very well and will likely continue to do so. This and
Munich are, in my strong opinion, the best Spielberg films of the 21st century and both will measure up to the very best the decade has to offer. Solid. Absolutely solid.

Pi (1998)
First viewing of this was in the middle of a 24-hour Fest and it was a bit of a debacle. Second viewing isn't much clearer, but it's apparent now that the movie is more thick and indie than I necessarily need - love
Requiem and The Fountain but probably won't need to revisit this one again. [More written about this movie here.]

The Return of the Living Dead (1985)
Absolute horror classic painted in oodles of awesome 80's style. This is probably one of the best cheeseball monster flicks of the 80's with all the trappings that could never work today (sorry
Planet Terror!) "Send more cops!!"

Hairspray (2007)
Or what I like to call
Grease 2007. People are going to have a good time with this one; songs are catchy and the performances are all pretty stellar. Funnier and a little more tongue-in-cheek than I was expecting but then, I've never seen the original. [Update: since seeing this back in July, it has become an absolutely undeniable repeater in my home DVD player, driven 100% by my 4-year-old who has mastered the dance moves and most of the songs. At first pass, I didn't peg this as a "little-girl's movie" but the songs are clean and infectious and the dancing is...well, quite unstoppable.]

The Jerk (1979)
What happened to *this* Steve Martin and who is the cat in that Pink Panther remake? This movie remains funny today in ways that most other comedies can't approach. Another example of the comedy-gold coming out of the early days of SNL.

The Quick And The Dead (1995)
I'm a little surprised at how much I liked this, given that it's such an easy knock-off of so many superior Westerns; still, a modern Western with the fast Raimi style and some pre-movie star performances by Russell Crowe and Leonardo DiCaprio. I remember staying away from this because of Sharon Stone in the lead role, but the supporting parts more than make up for it. Gene Hackman absolutely devours scenery in (basically) the same fashion as
Unforgiven. Good stuff and one I'll watch again in a heartbeat.

Apocalypto (2006)
Is it odd that this movie reminded me a just a little of
Atanarjuat, save for the Mel Gibson signature blood-and-guts. In fact, this plays a little like a Mayan Braveheart without the crucifixion (which I suppose he got out of his system by now.) An interesting movie particularly given that there's no way it would ever have been made without Gibson's Passion clout. Would make a clever double-bill with Conan...

Deja Vu (2006)
Probably smarter than it needed to be and a pretty clever twist on the
Timecop riff that I was expecting. Absolutely loved the "car chase" and had real difficulty trying to second-guess the ending...which is always a good thing.

Monster House (2006)
I was looking for a good 80's-style Amblin ride but ended up with something that seemed a little too noisy and clunky. If seeing a house "run" is to your taste, this is a good one - however for me it felt like I was 8-years-old again and riding a roller coaster for the first time; I could see the fun, but in the end I kind of stepped off the train with a headache.

Elizabeth (1998)
With Universal releasing
The Golden Age in the fall, I figured it time to catch up on this one. When it was initially released, I was turned off by the thought of "another dry period picture" (hated Shakespeare in Love) but I have since turned into a big Cate Blanchett fan. This turned out to be about 20 times more exciting and interesting than I expected and I'm looking forward to the sequel, since it was so well set up at the end of this movie.

Deliver Us From Evil (2006)
I love documentaries and some movies you watch just because. Then when you finish, you wonder why you did that to yourself. This is a tough, tough film, particularly for a parent, and there is nothing to recommend it apart from solid documentary filmmaking and a subject that needs to stay in the daylight. I'll never watch it again.

The Cameraman (1928)
Another Buster Keaton movie and again, like
The General, I'm knocked on my ass by how effortless and light this movie is. Almost 80-years old and still as funny, fresh and engaging as any movie I can think of. The continuing story of a monstrous Buster Keaton phase...

The Dead Girl (2007)
Critics rave "total bummer!" Not that I was expecting many laughs from a movie called
The Dead Girl, but even still this movie went to places a LOT darker than I was expecting. No upside whatsoever - just black, black characters. I think T is going to make me pay for making her watch it; it'll be sappy romantic comedies for a month!

Touch of Evil (1958)
Unbelievable direction and a pretty canny plot (given car bombings still happening in the world this very day). Welles steals the show with a performance that oozes slime, corruption and most surprisingly, sympathy in some unexpected moments. A fantastic noir film. [More written about this movie
here.]

To Live and Die in LA (1985)
Delicious and dark piece of 80's candy. Love the Wang Chung almost as much as the Friedkin car chase - shockingly un-formulaic even while it flirts with cliche at every turn. [More written about this movie
here.]

Ghost Rider (2007)
Here's a movie I knew would be bad, but still couldn't help myself from renting it. Had to see the flaming skull in full motion and the flaming horse almost made it worth the cost of the rental. Well, almost. This was a really campy movie with terrible casting and silly performances. What happened to Nic Cage after he won the Oscar in the mid-90s? I used to look forward to a new Nicholas Cage performance - but now? It's clearly a very fine line between eccentric-neurotic and shit-house-crazy.

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007)
Funny. I never bothered to see the first one so didn't have much invested in this. Still, I had to get the taste of
Ghost Rider out of my mouth and this was marginally better. Silver Surfer was a little too CG for my taste, but the movie was pretty fun from beginning to end.

1408 (2007)
Tight and thrilling. There's nothing quite as fun as the slow chill that creeps up your back in the first hour of the movie; isn't that why we subject ourselves to horror movies. Last act kind of spins off-course, but nevertheless hits some pretty emotional places. Recommended.

Ratatouille (2007)
It's amazing to me that Pixar *still* continues to improve their animation with each new movie. This is leaps and bounds above
Cars and Finding Nemo. In fact, I've never seen an animated film quite like this and it's shocking to me that this was made with kids in mind. Talking rats aside, it's really an adult picture that's about cooking, art and fine dining...not sure my 4-year old would really grasp all of the plot points at play here. What a unique film.

The Lookout (2007)
Joseph Gordon-Levitt is definitely becoming a favourite actor, someone to watch in just about anything he does. This is a minor heist film, solid but not quite the smart mousetrap I was expecting from the trailers.
The Lookout suffers in large part by the inevitable comparisons to the wonderful and underrated Brick.

Sicko (2007)
Much more heart than I was expecting...less political and more emotional than past Moore docs with a few real heart-crushing stories. This should find a wider audience than
Fahrenheit as it's also a little less combustive (but no less important) - US HMO horror stories will make Canadians extremely grateful for the luxuries of OHIP.

Black Christmas (1974)
Like its early horror cousins, this movie is remarkably effective at sending cold chills up your back - in fact, more so than anything in theatres today. But most surprising is that some of the horror techniques and plot elements in the film, which have become standard fare today, were wholly new and must have been pretty revolutionary in the pre-
Halloween, pre-Friday-the-13th era. Even John Saxon was a recycled horror element by the time he showed up in Nightmare on Elm St. [More written about this movie here.]


No comments: